Monday, July 29, 2013

On quilting for others - new territory, new feelings.

I don't know what starting a new business is more ... exciting or scary?  I can't wait to quilt some of the amazing quilts others have made, but I'm also a little scared that they will leave the choices up to me, then not like them when the quilt is finished.  So far, that has not been a problem though.  I just finished this cute little sampler quilt for a customer, just a simple overall meander, but it looks nice, and she liked it enough to bring me another quilt to do when she picked this one up.


I'm going to the Machine Quilting show at the end of this week and am looking forward to several classes I've signed up for, and meeting some amazing quilters like Karen McTavish, Pam Clark and others.  I can't wait!  The hardest part for me is coming up with new design ideas, and then executing them as I see them in my head - sometimes I think I come up with designs that may be beyond my capabilities, but then I just have to figure them out, and that's how I stretch my skills - same as when I'm piecing quilts.  I hate it when people say - oh that pattern is for advanced quilters only - it's really hard.  Case in point - a Lone Star Quilt is supposed to be really hard, not for beginners.  The 3rd quilt I ever made in my life was a Lone Star, and it came out perfect - I didn't think it was hard.  I guess I just don't like to limit myself by saying oh that's too hard, don't try. I try everything, and what fun I've had!

Charlie's Lone Star Quilt,  80" x 80"- not nearly has hard as it looks.  I did trapunto for the first time on this quilt too.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.