Sunday, August 1, 2010

My New Quilt Room is Finished!

I started quilting about 2 years ago, and after about 1 year, my husband remodeled a small 6 X 12 room in our basement for me.  It was very cute, but very small.  You can view pictures of it here.  It worked reasonable well for a while, and I came up with a few creative ideas to maximize the space.

However, it was cramped, and I finally persuaded my wonderful husband Roy to remodel another basement room for me.  This one is 15' x 15', and even has a fireplace ( not working, but still great looking.  You can see the renovation as it progressed, and the finished room by clicking here.

I got lots of inspiration from a lot of different sources.  My cutting table system is a do it yourself version of a craft table I saw at the Pottery Barn web site.  It was $1200 then, now on sale for about $950, and way more than I could afford, but I figured with a little creativity, I could duplicate it pretty closely for a LOT less money.  I did, and even made it longer for my purposes, and put drawers underneath for storage, and I'm very happy with it.
Pottery Barn System
My Version of the Pottery Barn System


I used cubes in the smaller room, and made them so they could fold away to save space.  When I went to the larger room, I keep the cubes along one wall, and used shelves for the ends of the table instead.
Here's how it looked in the smaller room using the cubes.

Using cubes with a 36 x 80 long hollow core door.

With this format, I had rollers on the bottoms of the cubes, and could roll them out perpendicular to the walls, then place the door (which had been stored against the wall behind the cubes) on top using the handles.  In the new room, I use the same door, but don't have to move it anymore.
If you don't have a lot of room, I highly recommend this way, as it saves a lot of space, and is inexpensive and easy to utilize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.